mydmx GO for everyone
This article is for every DJ who is interested in the American DJ mydmx GO Lighting Control App. I will show you how to get a quick start into the App and what button has which function. You can also find some more information in our videotutorial series.
Who is the mydmx Go app for?
For people who do not feel like programming their DJ lighting setup in daylong nightshifts and then realize at the gig that it is not working properly as it was intended. Because with myDMX GO you do not need programming and you can start right away.
Which hardware is needed?
To use the American DJ mydmx GO App you need to buy the Interface. But if you not purchased it you can first of all download the App for free in App Store, Google Play Store or at Amazon App Store.
Ask you local dealer were you can buy the American DJ mydmx GO Interface.
How do I patch my lights?
Before you connect to the American DJ mydmx GO Interface start with patching your lights because for that is an active Internet Connection required.
Within American DJ mydmx GO you can find more than 15.000+ profile fixtures. The good thing is there are not all stored on your tablet only until you actively download them. All American DJ lights are already downloaded and ready to go.
- To patch a fixture follow the following steps.
- Swipe left the menu and click on Fixtures
- Then you click on links below on Brands and select your brand
- After that you select the light of the brand under Device
- Last you select the channel mode and and click on Add fixture
- This you repeat with all the lights that you have.
- In the end, of course, check whether your DMX devices have the same addresses and channel modes setup as in mydmx Go.
- Close the App and then start with the Connecting process
How do I connect American DJ mydmx GO Interface with my DMX Lights?
Before you start with this process make sure your mydmx GO App is closed.
- Connects your interface to power (preferably a mobile phone charger)
- Searching on your tablet for a Wifi thats called Smart DMX Interface XXXXX (The last number are your serial number of your interface.
- Connect to this Wi-Fi by using the default password “smartdmx0000”
- Launch now the mydmx Go App on your tablet.
- It could be up to 30 sec until the App is Connected to the American DJ mydmx GO Interface
- Your Interface is successfully connected if under Interfaces myDMX Go is shown
Let´s getting started.
On the first impression the App has a lot´s of button but I will promise you it´s not so complicated as it looks like. In the overview here I explain to you all function of the buttons.
- Auto mode: Just turn it on and be happy
- BPM: Shows how many BPM the effects are played by pressing the Tap button three times to the right.
- PULSE Effect: Displays the input level of the tablet mic. Needed for the Pulse effect
- Turn off mydmx GO completely
- MODE: Indicates in which mode the two decks are running. Metronome means these are controlled according to BPM, the clock after a defined time and the microphone after the pulse effect
- FOG: If you have connected a fog machine, this is the button for this.
- BLACKOUT: makes everything dark.
- The WHOOO effect is best just trying it out
- BLIND effect to set just when dropping accents
- FREEZE effect to pause
- BRIGHTNESS: About subs, the brightness of each type of device can be fixed. The overall brightness is selected via the large fader.
- STROBO: Enables the strobo effect. The intensity is set via the control below.
- MOVEMENT EFFECTS. Here you can select what moving effect do you want on your complete DJ Setup
- COLOR EFFECTS. Here you can select what color effect do you want on your complete DJ Setup
- PRESETS: Save your settings in up to 50 PRESETS
How are the Movement Effects and Color Effects looks like?
The heart of the mydmx Go are the two decks. To show you how the effects looks like check out this video.
What benefit do I have with limitation of the PAN / TILT?
Honestly that brings a lot. It can be used for your movinglights and limit them to go above the dancefloor or on the wall behind you DJ Booth. With other Lighting Control Apps you must to reprogramming the new PAN and TILT parameters at every new location. With the mydmx GO App is just like two clicks and seconds later the Movinglights will only operate in your defined area. This functionality is unique on the lighting control market.
Also, I have produced you short video tutorial. This can be found here:
How do I set the PAN/TILT limit for Movingheads?
To set the PAN/TILT limit for movingheads, simply click on this button in the upper right corner.
Then the following screen appears in the mydmx GO.
Now that your setup is connected, hold the white squares in the middle and align them with the dance floor. Repeat this for all sides. I would not recommend you to take the points in the corners, as they are not suitable for setting. At the end the limitation could look like this.
What is the best practices for limitation of PAN/TILT?
That’s a good question. Let’s say you’re on the road as a DJ. Then I would put the limitation in your place so that only the dance floor is well light up. So the moving heads start just before your desk and go to the end of the dance floor. But I would not make this too high, otherwise guests sitting behind the dance floor at the table could be blinded all the time.
So you make sure that the guests on the dance floor are always offered the perfect light show.